Richard's mother, Frances "Fannie" Eagar, was a direct descendant of William the Conqueror and England's King Henry 1 and thus is he. The following collection of newspaper clippings, directory listings, and notes reflect on the life of Richard Massy Yeilding, Jr. and his close family in Ireland, who, with his brother and son migrated to North America, and who eventually established his home in Glen Sharrald, Rice County, Kansas. On various census and other documents in New York (1850), Wisconsin (1860/70), and Kansas (1880) Junior's occupation is listed as Veterinary Surgeon, Physician, Farmer, and postmaster. He became the Postmaster of Glen Sharrald in June 22, 1874, and remained so until December 15, 1887 when the post office was closed. Junior died at his home in Glen Sharrald on the 12th of August, 1892 and was buried in the Springdale Cemetery on the outskirts of the town of Chase, Rice County. Elsewhere on this site the visitor can see Glen Sharrald, Kansas as it appears today.
The 1820's were difficult times for Ireland, especially in the countryside.
"In 1820 succeeded the distresses occasioned by the failure of nearly all the principal banks in Munster; the scarcity of provisions caused by the failure of the crops in the following year reduced the peasantry to the last stage of calamity; the consequence was an insurrection more maturely planned and vigorously executed than any that had preceded. In every quarter of the county predatory bands appeared under the directions of an invisible chief, styled Captain Rock, declaring their determination to reduce high rents, tithes, and taxes, and threatening with destruction all proprietors of land who should attempt to disobey their mandates. The outrages of the insurgents increased and extended in spite of the exertions of the gentry, military, and Catholic clergy; Abbeyfeale, on the borders of Limerick and Kerry, became their chief place of rendezvous. The police were augmented; large bodies of regular troops were sent into the county and quartered generally in the western baronies, yet still the insurgents kept up a kind of guerilla warfare: several parties of them were attacked by surprise and deprived of their arms, yet when dispersed in one quarter they showed themselves suddenly in another, committing their devastations often in the open day; the churches of Kilkeedy, Ballybrook, and Athlacca, together with several gentlemen's houses, were burnt by them, and the plundered property publicly and systematically divided among the captors. Several wealthy and influential persons were murdered, amongst whom was a Roman Catholic clergyman, who rashly attempted to exhort them to submission to the laws; and it was only under the application of the insurrection act, and the most vigorous exertions of the magistracy, that the spirit of violence was at length suppressed."
source: http://www.limerickcoco.ie/library/lewis/limerickcounty.asp First published 1837
"In Galway, Thursday, October 9, 1823
"LIMERICK, OCT. 4, 1823
"On Friday last, a number of men, armed with sickles and hay-forks, assembled on the lands of Ballyphilip, near Kilmore, in this County, held by persons of the name of Duggan, under Mr. Nathaniel Simeux, on which previously a distress for rent had been made, by authority from a receiver under the Court of Chancery, and though the care-taker came forward and cautioned this banditti to desist, they, by force, maliciously cut down several acres of unique oats, and drew off the lands a quantity of same. Next day they dug the potatoes growing on said farm, and drew off some of the corn cut the day before. Mr. Richard Yeilding, jun. whose father has an estate on said lands, having heard of the outrage, came up in support of the care-taker, in order to prevent the corn from being removed, but to no effect, as the fellows dropped their spades, and with hay-forks, forced away the corn, and also grossly abused Mr. Yeilding- six of the party were apprehended early on Sunday morning, by W.R. Yeilding, Esq. and a party of the military from Kilmore, while in the act of conveying away the remainder of the cow. Several hundred persons were assembling to destroy and carry off the remainder off the property with horses, cars, &c., but on the appearance of the military they fled in all directions.."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of Limerick City and County By Samuel Lewis. Originally published in 1837 as part of A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland
"The parish (Croom - in which the townland of Ballyphilip is located) contains 13, 003 statute acres, as applotted under the tithe act, the estimated rental being £15, 872: the land is in general remarkably good, and under excellent cultivation. The soil is based on a substratum of limestone, and Tory hill affords one of the best specimens of disintegration to be found in Ireland. At Carass, on the River Maigue, is a very powerful flour-mill, fitted up in a superior style, with machinery of the most improved construction, the property of D. Roche, Esq.; and close adjoining the bridge of Croom is another large mill, belonging to H. Lyons, Esq. In addition to the interesting castle, the residences of the gentry in the parish are Carass, of D. Roche, Esq.; Toureen, of J. D. Lyons, Esq., D. L.; Croom House, the property of Mr. Lyons; Carass Court, of Jeffrey Browning, Esq.; Glen-Bevan, of J. Bevan, Esq.; Cherry Grove, of J. Barry, Esq.; Bellevue, of (Richard) Massy Yeilding, Esq.; Clorane, a fine old house belonging to the Hunt family; Newborough, of C. Wilson, Esq.; the glebe-house, of the Rev. E. Croker, rector of the parish; and Tory Hill, of the Rev. L. Harnett; besides several villas, cottages, and substantial farm-houses."
By 1824 Richard Jr. was living in Limerick City. At the age of 24 he may have lived there with his 1st wife. His son, Richard(1828-?), may have been born there as well.
PIGOT'S DIRECTORY OF IRELAND - 1824:
Gentry & Clergy:
Yeilding Richard, junr. Esq. Upper Glentworth-street."
Sometime between then (1824) and 1830 Richard and his brother Agar left for Canada with all their belongings and a stake for their new life given by their father Richard Massy Yeilding, Sr..
Years later the family fell on hard times:
From the West Limerick Research Group, As Dúchas Dóchas:
"In 1750 the landlords began to enclose the lands with fences. Until then the lands had been used as a commonage free of rent. When fenced the land was rented to the highest bidder.
"In the early 19th century Glenastar Lodge was erected. This mansion was built by the Yeilding family who owned cotton factories in England and India and became landlords in the district known as Glensharrold.. The lodge was situated in the main Newcaslte west to Carrigkerry road. The Yeilding's proved to be very fair landlords many tenants who lived in small holdings had to pay no rent. The Yeilding family later became bankrupt
"In 1853 Mr Christopher Delmege of Castle Park Limerick purchased the townland of Glensharrold. He married Martha daughter of Mr John Yielding Glenastar Lodge Ardagh. He paid £8000 for the Glensharrold estate. The Delmege family were very unpopular even among other landlords. They were Palatines, descendants of the Palatines brought over from Germany in 1709 to colonise certain estates in the south of Ireland. Mr Delmege raised the rent to double and treble the rents paid to Mr. Yeilding. Also people who never paid rent to the Yeilding's, even those with thatched cabins, were served with notice to pay or be evicted. He brought in his own police force and game keepers for which the tenants had to pay their wages. He appointed bog rangers to let the bogs each year and collect rent for bogs that were free under Yeilding."
". . . In April 1888 five more tenants were evicted, and in August of that year eighteen more tenants were evicted. A local historian Michael O’ Brien Kerrykyle Ardagh was present at some of the evictions. He stated that 60 mounted troopers fully armed accompanied the sheriff and the bailiffs past his home on the road to Glensharrold. He heard the bell ringing in St. Mary’s Church Carrigkerry. It rang every time an eviction was taking place to warn the tenants. All day long the evictions continued through Glensharrold leaving a trail of desperation and despair some of the families went to the workhouses where many of them died more of the dispossessed huddled in ditches other tenants were committed to an asylum.
"One Sunday morning as the people were going into Mass in Carrigkerrry a strange sight met their eyes. A large body of men and dogs came down from the hills to the village. They came from the Land League branches of Templeglantine and Tournafulla another group came Ballyhahill, Moneymohill and Kilcolman. It was an organised game hunt by the Land League branches. All day long they hunted through the estate killing and shooting all kinds of game which they gave to the evicted tenants. The police force were helpless they could not stop them by the time extra police had arrived the hunt was over, the tenants had full and plenty for some time."
Limerick Leader Newspaper - Friday, August 9, 1889
"The Glensharrold Estate
"Forty-five wynds of hay, the property of M. J. C. Delmege, have been seized on the Glensharrold estate for non-payment of poor-rates. The tenants declined to pay, as eviction notices had been served on them."